Friday, December 5, 2008

My New Patron Saint - St Lydia

I have a new patron saint, courtesy of The Church Ladies. A quick internet search on St Lydia brought up this information:

Saint Lydia was born during the first century in Thyatira, a town famous for its dye works in Asia Minor. She was a seller of purple dye and was St. Paul's first convert at Philippi. The following is from the Acts of the Apostles:

"And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of
Thyatira, one that worshipped God, did hear: whose heart the Lord opened to
attend to those things which were said by Paul. And when she was baptized, and
her household, she besought us, saying: If you have judged me to be faithful to
the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us."
Acts 16:14-15

Lydia was a woman of hospitality, a woman of faith, and a successful businesswoman. Lydia served the Lord through her gift of hospitality by welcoming others into her home, and allowing her home to become a center of prayer and worship for Paul and the early Christians.


St Lydia, help me to do the same. Help me to make my home always be a welcoming place for others, and a place where prayer and worship are given highest priority.

1 comment:

  1. Where do you get a copy of this lovely icon of St. Lydia. She is my patron saint.

    ReplyDelete