Monday, January 12, 2009

In Praise of Ordinary Time

Ordinary Time began in the Church today, but it also began here at our home. On Friday, I got all our Christmas decorations put away. The Boy Scouts picked up our tree on Saturday to recycle it as mulch.

Today is the first day in a long time that I've focused on getting our lives back to "normal." Eleven loads of laundry were folded and put away. I'm working on another 3 loads now. Dishes were washed. Candles and holiday plates were stored in the china cabinet again.

It feels really good. There is "space"again. Space for my eyes to rest. Space for us to all just "be." For us to grow, love, live and learn. Just space. As much as I love the Christmas decorations, the extended family time, the long days filled to the brim with activity, I need this time, too. I need quiet, ordinary days, filled with laundry, grocery shopping, reading to the kids, playing board games, catching up on blog-reading and emails. Nothing special, nothing note-worthy, just ordinary time.

No comments:

Post a Comment