Monday, October 26, 2009

It Doesn't Really Count... It's Only Number 4

(Ok, so I admit that perhaps it might be a bit of a pain to have your mother be your religion teacher).

BigBro will be celebrating his first Reconciliation next week, so we've spent a good part of the past month talking about sin, the Commandments, and forgiveness. This afternoon, he spent a good part of the afternoon in his room after a particularly disrespectful series of interactions with me.

As I was prepping dinner tonight, he and I were discussing his behavior choices this afternoon.

"It's not a big deal, you know, Mom. I was just being disrespectful. You got way madder than you should've."

"Really? Not a big deal? It's only one of the 10 Commandments. You think God didn't really mean that one? Only the other 9 count?"

No response, other than a shrug and eye roll.

DH walked into the room at this point, and joined our conversation:

"What do you think Pastor will say next week, if you tell him you've been disrespectful to your mom, but it's not a big deal?"

"Well, I'm not going to tell him that."

No, I wouldn't think so. Might kill that whole contrition thing.

(Lest you get the wrong idea, he and I ended up curling up at bedtime for a real heart-to-heart on his behavior, the Sacrament, and general issues of respect).

No comments:

Post a Comment