Monday, January 4, 2010

Spelling Mommy

Princess, our newly minted independent reader, has taken to spelling as often as she can. I am no longer "Mom." Nope. I am "M-O-M." Even LilBro has taken to calling me "M-O-M," which brings up this memory:

When we were kids, my sisters and I called our parents "Mommy" and "Daddy." When I was 12 and my sister was 10, we decided that we were too old to call them "Mommy" and "Daddy." We had a little pow-wow and then set a time to talk with our parents about changing what we called them to "Mom" and "Dad." We actually had a scheduled sit-down with them, and asked their permission to call them "Mom" and "Dad." Now, my mom has never really adjusted to this name change, and still leaves phone messages that say, "Hi Jen, it's Mommy." (THAT took some getting used to for DH, early in our marriage!)


So, when my babies started talking, I was "Mama." Before long, I became "Mommy." But by the time BigBro was 5, he'd shortened it to "Mom." I remember being a bit sad by that, because the other two take their cue from him. I don't know that LilBro has ever called me "Mommy." My sweet Princess, when she is not spelling, still calls me "Mama" most of the time.


I know this little trend of spelling won't last long, that I'll be back to "Mom" again before I know it... so, for now, I am enjoying the spelling... and every now and again, M-O-M replies in letters, too. After all... how better to grow your spelling/reading vocabulary than in translating messages of love from your M-O-T-H-E-R.

No comments:

Post a Comment