Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blessings of the Week - vol. 44



-1-

Sunshine. Even though it's been way too cold (even without the single-digit wind chills) for outside play, the sun has shined every day this week. We are still cooped-up and the kids are still fighting, but I am feeling my moods lift this week... and the longer hours of daylight mean that spring can't be that far away, right?

-2-

Living in the Digital Age. This week I explained to the kids why a newspaper would have printed an "extra" edition back in the 1930s (we're reading the Kit series in American Girl). I started thinking about what a blessing it is to live in a time when we have access to instant information. There are lots of negatives of being "too plugged-in," I know. But there are many positives, too. Among those: research is easier than ever (how on earth did anyone raise children without Google?), keeping in touch with faraway friends is simple and convenient, and ... my main reason this is listed as a blessing this week ... we can be touched by the thoughts and prayers of others all over the globe, whom we otherwise would never have met.

I have a small handful of blogs I read regularly, and while I don't know any of these people, I am touched by their presence in my life. This week, I was feeling conflicted and troubled about something personal. Friday morning, when I clicked into my blogs, I read a post that discussed exactly the issue troubling me, and in such a way as to ease my mind and give me some peace.

It helps me to realize that so many of our "issues" are universal ones... and also to have a different perspective, a different worldview. It's hard to imagine that this sort of global communication didn't exist until just the past decade and a half. My life is so enriched by it... one can hope that our children will grow up not so much "plugged in" as tuned in to the universal need and universal hope.

-3-


My husband. I really don't know what I would do without him in my life. Enough said.

*****

And you... where and how have you noticed His Hand in your life this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment