Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting Ready ... Personally

This year, my approach to Lent is heavy on the prayer and Scripture. As a means of general accountability, here's the plan:

  1. Continue praying Morning and Evening Prayer from my Christian Prayer book, and continue attending daily mass as often as DH's schedule allows.


  2. Daily devotional from "Lent and Easter Wisdom from Pope John Paul II"


  3. Daily time in the Word: Paul's Letter to the Ephesians. This is my foray into lectio divina... meditating on a small passage of scripture each day. Some days, I will blog my thoughts on the epistle.


  4. Fifteen minutes of centering prayer... as close to daily as I can make this happen, ideally at least 4-5 times per week.


I'm making a pretty big prayer commitment this Lent, mostly because my prayer life tends to be the first thing to suffer when I get busy. I expect that, if I am going to be successful in keeping this commitment, I'm going to have to cut back on my internet time, a fast of sorts there.

It will be interesting to see how and where this extra prayer time affects the rest of my life.

I'm feeling pretty ready... almost excited... for Lent this year. Just as I desperately needed the simplicity of Ordinary Time back in January, I am ready now to have a pressing reason to bring my spiritual life to the forefront once again.

*****

What about you? What are your plans to make the most of this Lenten season?

No comments:

Post a Comment