Thursday, October 14, 2010

Why Worship God

One of the two online classes I am taking this fall is on Part IV of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Part IV focuses on Christian Prayer and Spirituality. In class these past few weeks, we've been learning about the different forms of prayer: petitions, intercessions, thanksgiving, blessing, praise.

Praise is the form of prayer which has captured my heart these days. For a while now, the music I've preferred are songs of praise. My ipod is filled with them. My car radio tuned only to the Christian rock station. No matter how my day is going, there is a soundtrack of praise.

And it is making a very big difference in my life.

Last week, I listened to a Christian musician talking about the inspiration for one of her songs. She pointed out that we praise God not so that he will heal us or bless us in some way. We praise God because He is the Creator of the Universe. He is worthy of our praise.

I nodded and cried out, "You got it, sister!" That's exactly why we praise God. Prayer isn't some magic formula. Being Catholic isn't some magic potion. I don't take three teaspoons of confession and two tablespoons of the Eucharist, mix in 17 rosaries and get eternal life. It doesn't work like that at all.

God is, first and foremost, about relationship. The Holy Trinity is the perfect example to us of a loving, trusting, symbiotic relationship. It is the unity that we long for from the moment of our birth. God created it all; He created us. He created us out of love and in His loving image. We are meant to love first and foremost. And what better way to love our Creator than in praising all that He has created?

This has been a rough week. I've certainly spent some time in petitionary and intercessory prayer. But, I've found the most peace and the most comfort in prayers of praise. God is the same God today whom He was on Tuesday. No matter what happens in the coming days and weeks, God will continue to be God. He will continue to be ever-present and all-loving.

And I will continue to praise Him.

1 comment: