Monday, April 20, 2009

Three Things

Last week, as part of my penance, Father told me to spend a few minutes in prayer before bed that night recalling three blessings from my day, and thanking God for them.

I liked this so much that when DH got home from the Hermitage on Friday, I mentioned it to him, and asked him if we could include this in our shared prayer time before bed each night. He agreed, and we started that night.

It's only been a few days, but it's really added a lot to our bedtime prayers. Even more than that, though, it's a wonderful way to end our day. Last night, we were frustrated at bedtime. We got settled in, and were complaining a bit to each other about some of our frustrations. Then I turned off the lights and we began to pray. Within a few minutes, we each shared 3 blessings from our day. By the time we had finished praying, my frustrations had dissipated. I was calm, grateful, and in the right frame of mind to drift quickly off to sleep.

Ever so much better than lying there, stewing about the little annoyances... that really, in the grand scheme of things, matter so very little.

Thanks, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment