Monday, July 6, 2009

I Stand Corrected

After more than a year of coveting, hinting, sending me emails, leaving ads lying in conspicuous places, and otherwise outright begging, DH got an iPhone for Father's Day. (Ok, so it wasn't exactly a gift. I made him work for it... using his corporate discount and renegotiating a deal with AT&T that bundled all of our services into one, and actually brought the monthly cost of the iPhone in line with what we were paying for his crappy phone).

I have spent the better part of the past two weeks shrugging my shoulders and rolling my eyes as he drinks his fake beer, plays with the lightsaber and let's the kids pop the bubble wrap. A lot of money to pay for a glorified toy.

Last Friday, DH added iMissal to his apps, and admittedly, I was a little jealous at the ease with which he has the daily readings at his fingertips. Saturday night, I told him that it would be great if there was some way he could access our family calendar from his iPhone. Is there an app for that?


Well, as it turns out, there is. So yesterday, I jumped into the 21st century with both feet and transferred our family's activities from my paper calendar onto Google calendar. Last night, we took less than five minutes to sync his iPhone to our family calendar. Any updates I make to the calendar are automatically displayed on his iPhone. He can even make updates to the calendar from his phone. (Wait, he can make updates to my calendar! Deep breath. It's ok, Jen. Detach... detach... let go of the control freak ... deep, cleansing breath).

This morning, when I opened my email, we had a message from DH, filled with pictures of the "paper" airplane sculptures in the Cleveland airport. Instant communication, including pictures for the kids, while he is away on business... well, this "glorified toy" is looking better and better to me each day.

I can admit it... I was wrong. I am glad that DH was able to work it out and finally got himself an iPhone. And not just because it makes him so very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment