Saturday, July 4, 2009

Blessings of the Week - vol. 11

Happy 4th of July edition of weekly blessings!

-1-

The United States of America. It wouldn't be fitting to celebrate our nation's birthday without recognizing what a blessing it is to live in this country, in the early part of the 21st century. Yes, we are a flawed people. Yes, our "democracy" (or rather, republic) has its issues. But, there are good, solid reasons why our government "of the people, for the people, and by the people" has become the model for representative government in the past 200 years. You need to look no further than our current president to see that the "American Dream" is still possible: that you really can come from nothing and end up as President of the United States.

And so, today I pause to recognize the incredible blessing of being an American. I am thankful that my grandparents made the trek across the Atlantic Ocean in 1929, enduring the difficulties of starting life anew in a strange country, so that I can sit here in my air-conditioned home, laptop on lap, eighty years later, enjoying the many blessings of this life. I am grateful for the freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution: I am free to practice my faith, to feel secure in my own home, to express my dissent... by my words, by my actions, and by my vote.

Today, of all days, I need to remember and offer thanks for these freedoms... which I consider so basic, I rarely notice them... these same freedoms that people are dying for right now, in other parts of the world.

-2-

Some (much needed) time alone. This week, I headed back down to the Hermitage for a few days. DH was off work on Friday, and I took the opportunity to have 2 days of peace and quiet. The time alone was a blessing. The chance to get some work done, uninterrupted. The peace and the quiet. Sleeping in. Long walks. Sitting quietly along the edge of the Mississippi. All of it is such an incredible blessing.

-3-

A Lazy Week. This week was a lazy week. As absolutely crazy and over-scheduled as last week was, this week was the complete opposite. We hung around. We swam a lot. The kids made crafts and art projects. They made huge messes. We cleaned them up. It was just ... relaxed. Lots of sleeping in, sucking on popsicles, reading, imaginative play, and late afternoon naps (for me, at least, if not for them).

Ahh... just enjoying the lazy days of summer. Now, this is a blessing I can get used to!

*****

Where and how has God blessed you this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment