Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Emenoh

Yesterday, while Princess and BigBro were doing school, LilBro was bored. He didn't want to play with his cars, work puzzles or create with playdough. Every one of my suggestions was met with a resounding "no."

Finally, I offered school work. Nope. He wanted nothing to do with workbooks. "How about I get down the LilBro box?"

That got his interest. I pulled down a box full of preschool activity bags (most of which have never been used). He dug through it and pulled out a set of foam letters and numbers, and corresponding laminated sheets for matching. I left him at the living room table and returned to the other kids in the family room.

A short time later, I heard him singing the alphabet song slowly, over and over again. He got about halfway through and then his tone changed. "Emenoh! Where is emenoh? Emenoh!" I peeked in on him. He was sorting the letters in alphabetical order and had A through L in a line on the table. But he just could not find that elusive letter "emenoh."

"Need some help?" I asked.

"Yeah. Mom, I can't find emenoh."

I helped him find M, N, and O and he continued on with his alphabetizing. Once he was done, he sang through the song three more times, pointing to the letters each time. He still called them "emenoh," but at least he seemed to get that those were 3 different letters.

And, no, I'm not the least bit surprised that this child is alphabetizing at age 3. He has always been about ordering and organizing things... whether matchbox cars, toys, or letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment