Saturday, January 30, 2010

Blessings of the Week - vol. 40


-1-

A Quiet Weekend and Quiet Week. Last weekend (unlike this weekend) was a quiet one, filled with family time, reading, and relaxation. This week was a fairly quiet week, filled with just our ordinary activities. After the busyness and craziness of the holidays, and then the adjustments back into Ordinary Time, it sure was a blessing to have 7 quiet days strung together.

-2-

Rediscovering Crocheting. A few weeks ago, I grabbed some old yarn and a crochet hook on my way out the door for an afternoon of sitting around as my kids participated in activities. In that afternoon, without a plan, I started a baby blanket (which I've since donated). The kids immediately started asking me to make them things. I now rarely leave the house without my bag of yarn and current project, and I am finding that I am so much calmer and more relaxed amidst the chaos... and that the time I spend sitting and waiting no longer feels "wasted." (Yes, I could read... I do, after all, own a Kindle... however, so often these waiting times are also a chance to chat with the other moms, and sticking my nose in a book is too antisocial for me). So, this weekend sees me completing BigBro's hat (in colors complementary to the one I finished for LilBro at the beginning of the week) and starting on matching scarves for them. I guess there's one blessing in all this cold weather: these new hats/scarves will get some wear this winter!

-3-

The Pinewood Derby. Last night was the Annual Pinewood Derby for BigBro's Cub Scout pack. This really is as good as it gets for 6-10 year old boys. This is their night. In addition, it was DH's first time running this event as Cubmaster. It was a fun night all around, and, again, I'm reminded what a blessing our parish community is to us: for the kids, for DH and for me.

*****

Please join me in thanking God for your week full of blessings... not the least of which around here is a warm home to return to at night.









No comments:

Post a Comment