Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blessings of the Week - vol. 50


The BigBro Edition

-1-


BigBro's 8th Birthday! On Thursday of this week, my firstborn turned 8. It is unbelievable to me that eight years can go by so quickly, that the tiny infant in my arms became this active, self-confident, intelligent, fun kid right before my eyes. We celebrated with some bike riding, a party with our neighbors, and a family trip to a local pizza/game place. On Saturday, following the first baseball game of the season, he and some of his buddies went to the movies. Overall, a top-rated birthday celebration!

-2-


Baseball Season Starting. This week, BigBro's baseball season started up again. For the first time in years, there's been a change in coaching, and the change was obvious right from the start. The boys are responding very well to their new coach, and to his more team-oriented style. I could not believe the difference in their play. BigBro got a few good hits and several outs as first baseman.


As a homeschooling mom, I am blessed to be with my kids nearly all the time. But I am particularly touched when the other adults in their lives are such positive and encouraging role models for them. Coach Matt is definitely a blessing to BigBro, his team, and all of us parents.


-3-


My Friends From Morning Mass. It's been a few years now that I've been a "regular" at 6:30am mass. I get so much from that discipline. It really does start my day right.


But, in the past few months, I've come to see how big a blessing that community is, too. BigBro's piano teacher is a man whom I sit behind every morning, who approached me in December and offered to teach BigBro the instrument. He spends an hour with my son every single week, teaching him a lot more than just how to tickle the ivories.


This week, we went over to the church parking lot so Princess could practice riding her bike without training wheels, and so LilBro could get acclimated on the bike (as opposed to the trike). While there, the chain popped off BigBro's bike. We set it on a patch of grass, since all of my tools were home. Ten minutes later, I looked up from my bent-over perch at the back of Princess' bike to see a small group of older gentlemen gathered around BigBro and his bike. They were the St. Vincent de Paul volunteers, just back from their run to the local food pantries, and they wanted desperately to help BigBro fix his bike, but had nary a tool among them.


Later that afternoon, one of the men (most of whom are 6:30 regulars, too) called me to see if I'd gotten the bike fixed. I had thought so, but no. He offered to come by, pick it up, and fix it. Ten minutes later, he knocked at my door. An hour later, he called again. BigBro's bike was fixed and the work carried a "lifetime guarantee."


I started going to mass to connect more with God. I'm blessed to find myself also connecting with wonderful people I never would have met otherwise.


*****


God is so very good. Please join me in taking time to praise Him this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment