Sunday, May 23, 2010

Blessings of the Week - vol. 56

It was another blur of a week; I'm pausing now to give thanks to Him Who made it all possible.

-1-

Meeting Louis Sachar. On Thursday night, I took BigBro to the library to meet author Louis Sachar. We spent an hour and a half in a conference room, filled past capacity with mostly boys ages 8-14, all buzzing with excitement. He read from his latest novel, and then spent 40 minutes answering questions from the crowd (including BigBro!). Afterwards, we stood in line to have him sign BigBro's books and snap a quick picture of them together. On the way home, BigBro spilled over with enthusiasm, for the new books in his hand, for the inspiration of meeting a favorite author, and for the craft of writing itself.

-2-

Quiet Prayer/ Centering Prayer. There is a lot of flux in my life right now. Much change is happening, for me personally, in my parish, in my family, and at DH's job. I've been feeling generally anxious much of the time. But, I keep returning to the quiet/centering prayer that's become my mainstay these past few months... and I keep finding a place of peace. There is a big blessing in this: in returning again and again to the awareness of He Who always was and always shall be steadfast, true, compassionate, merciful, and loving.

-3-

T-ball season. I know I referenced it on Friday, but t-ball season really is my favorite time of the year. I think it's a combination of things. First, there's no competition. It's all about encouragement and fun for the kids. There are no scores, no outs. Every kids bats every inning. Every kid runs the bases. It's just plain fun for the 4-6 year olds.

Second, I love the location. Even when I have two simultaneous games to watch, they are side-by-side on the same field. I can stand at one game and watch the other. Yes, it's easier when they play each other, and I get to sit down. But, I don't mind running back and forth along the sidelines. It gives me a chance to catch up with more parents.

Which brings me to my third favorite thing. We aren't a "school" family, but because the parish is where my kids get most of their "socialization," I know a lot of the school parents, but rarely get to see them. I love all the time I get to spend chatting with so many different parents, all in the same span of time.

Encouragement, family and community all in one place: if that's not the definition of a blessing, I don't know what is.

*****

Won't you pause this Sunday morning, in praise and awe of Him Who is All Good and Loving?

No comments:

Post a Comment