Friday, January 28, 2011

Surrender

A few weeks ago, I read this in one of my recovery books: "I become teachable when I surrender." A few days later, someone at the meeting said the same thing: "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Surrender is hard for me. I like to be in control. I like to be the decision-maker. I like to know exactly what is going to happen when and where. Surrender is definitely not a natural state for me.

But, the more I surrender, my will to God's, my pride in confession, my stubbornness for flexibility, the greater the peace I seem to find.

When I am willing to surrender, to be humbled, to humble myself, it is then that I become teachable.

2 comments:

  1. Today I had a crisis of faith. I was upset that I was not the person I used to be. I decided to go to my bedroom and wrestle with God about my feelings. Of course, he came through. He helped me to accept myself the way I am right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belle,

    My prayers are with you now. Thank you for all of your supportive comments, and for your prayers!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete