Thursday, February 17, 2011

Small Things - Big Blessings

In the midst of this crazy week, and while fighting a pretty wicked cold, I am noticing some of the small ways God is making Himself known to me.


  • homemade gifts and notes of love from those who live in the deepest parts of my heart

  • gentle, compassionate acceptance and encouragement in spiritual direction

  • gathering of homeschool friends and valentine boxes overflowing

  • filling two large bags at the teacher recycling store in exchange for one paper coupon

  • a cup of tea and an hour with a dear friend

  • birthday smiles on a princess' face

  • homemade cinnamon rolls

  • warm, spring-like days (no coats necessary!)

  • time with a new friend

  • a reliable babysitter

  • an hour of peace and quiet this morning, for prayer, thanksgiving, and preparation for another busy day

  • this life... in all its challenging, crazy, and demanding ways, this life is the greatest gift of all

i thank you God for most this amazing day

- e.e. cummings

4 comments:

  1. Looks like we have the same sorts of thing in mind. Could it be Spring produces the same response (or the Holy Spirit at work)?

    Your reflection on the mirror a few posts back really resonated. I try to remember that my "lenses" tend to distort whatever I look at. The image I have of myself is so different from the images others have. Probably none of us has it right. Isn't that what Judgement really is? When God tells us, shows us, displays for us who we really are. I hope He is gentle and merciful doing it! God bless. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    You wrote: "The image I have of myself is so different from the images others have." I spent most of my hour of spiritual direction on that exact thought on Monday night. The biggest blessing: that I have a SD who knows me so well, and with whom I have been so honest, that he is able to help me find a way to marry these disparate images into a whole.

    And, as for His mercy, oh, boy have I been on the receiving end of that lately! Praise God for His sacraments, and for the men (like you) who sacrifice so much to bring Him to the rest of us.

    God bless!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, and was just thinking this morning that I missed you weekly blessings list.....

    j

    ReplyDelete